Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is an awful disease! It can make people sick beyond belief, it can destroy lives and it can lead to death, but there are many things cancer cannot do. Five years ago my mother passed away after a seven-year-long battle with cancer. She underwent multiple surgeries, radiation and chemotherapy and she lived her life to the fullest up the very end. This last summer, my dad was also diagnosed with cancer. Today he completed his 38th and final radiation treatment. Throughout his treatment he has remained positive and hasn't let cancer dictate his way of life. Cancer may have led to sickness and death in my family; however, cancer has not and will not destroy the lives of my family members. Recently, I was going through some of my mom's belongings and I found this poem:
What Cancer Cannot Do
Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple Love
It cannot shatter Hope
It cannot corrode Faith
It cannot destroy Peace
It cannot kill Friendship
It cannot suppress Memories
It cannot silence Courage
It cannot invade the Soul
It cannot steal eternal Life
It cannot conquer the Spirit
-Author Unknown
I love you, Mom and Dad...you are both my heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment