Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy April Fool's Day!

I'm no fool, or am I? I fall for little jokes all the time. Frequently, my students will tell me things and then wait to see my jaw drop and then they'll say, "I'm just kidding." Many times, Jesse will say things to me and wait for me to say, "Really?" and then I'll realize that he is kidding around because he will start laughing at me. So, I guess it's no surprise that there have been two times in my life that I "fell" pretty hard for April Fool's jokes: 1. When I was a teenager my mom used to get so mad at me because I wouldn't wake up right when my alarm clock went off. I would push snooze many times (just like I do now) before I would finally roll out of bed. It used to drive my mom crazy. So, one year on April Fool's Day, Mom decided she was going to get me out of bed in a hurry. I woke up to her hovering over me telling me there was a fire in the house and in the background I could hear the smoke detector going off upstairs. So, I jumped out of bed and ran upstairs (my room was in the basement) as fast as I could with my mom right behind me. I was mumbling something about getting the dog out of the house when I rounded the corner to see my brother standing on a chair holding the smoke detector button, causing it to beep loudly. It took me a moment to realize what was going on because I was still half asleep and then I suddenly collapsed in a heap on the floor because I realized that the joke was one me. My mom and brother laughed about that one for weeks and looking back on it, it makes me laugh too! 2. Exactly 5 years ago today, Jesse proposed to me on April Fools Day. If you don't know Jesse, the fact that he proposed marriage on April Fools Day probably tells you a lot about his personality. Some men propose on Valentine's Day, or a birthday or an anniversary, but my husband chose April Fools Day and I wouldn't want it any other way!!! I was standing in the kitchen when he came in with a gift for me. It was a golf club cover that looked like a bunny rabbit going down a hole and he had it over his hand. I was surprised by the gift, but when I took it off his hand I was even more surprised because he was holding a diamond ring, except it wasn't a new diamond ring, it was my mother's wedding/engagement ring. He immediately got down on one knee and said, "Will you marry me?" The first thing I thought of is...he has got to be joking around because he doesn't have a ring for me and it's April Fool's Day. I think I told him to "Shut Up" a few times and I even think I shoved him and started to walk away because I thought it was a really bad joke. I finally realized he was serious when he told me that he had called and talked to my dad and my brother to receive their blessing and that we were going to the jewelry store right away so I could pick out a ring. We laughed and joked about it the whole time we were at the jewelry store...it was one of the best days of my life. So, it wasn't a joke after all, but it makes me laugh and so does my husband every day! Happy April Fool's Day to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment